Lawyers in this Practice
Intellectual property is fast becoming the most significant asset for many of our clients. Accordingly, our intellectual property group focuses on protecting and enforcing our clients’ intellectual property rights. We regularly represent our clients before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office as well as the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Our services include:
• choosing, obtaining, protecting and enforcing trademark rights both in Canada and abroad;
• trademark opposition proceedings;
• trademark expungement proceedings;
• trademark and copyright infringement actions;
• passing-off actions;
• copyright applications;
• distribution agreements; and,
• licensing agreements.
Our expertise also extends to legal issues related to the use of domain names including ownership, registration, transfer, dispute resolution before CIRA and ICANN and issues pertaining to pirating, squatting and other bad faith use of domain names. We also advise our clients on obtaining security in intellectual property assets, and issues arising from employment relationships, mergers and acquisitions, and insolvency and corporate restructurings.